Google PlusFacebookTwitter

How I Became An Expert on Cards

on Nov 1, 2016 in Health Care & Medical

Share On GoogleShare On FacebookShare On Twitter

Be Covered When Travelling to Europe

One of the important things you should prepare when travelling to Europe is your medical care. The insurance that is useful and easy to apply if you are planning to go abroad is called EHIC or the European Health Insurance Card.

There are some things that you need to know regarding EHIC before travelling.

First and foremost, know that the European Health Insurance Card is absolutely free of charge. You can go to the NHS website to get the card and no payment will be asked from you. Be on your toes if the site would be asking you to pay the card, because then you are not on the genuine NHS site.

Second is to know that medical coverage will not always be free in some cases. True, the European Health Insurance Card allots you with the same kind of medical care with that of the resident of that country, but this will not be true in all cases. There will be an instant like emergency dental care, that you have to pay at least a portion of the cost. In some instances, you can claim for a refund when you are back home, however, it is better to assume that not all medical expenses will be free.

Note that as the name suggests, the EHIC can only be used in European countries. This means, the next time you are travelling to any country outside of Europe, this card is not applicable. It would be safe and wise for your travel within Europe, that you buy a travel insurance aside from having an EHIC, since this insurance will aid you when emergency incidents happen like repatriation, loss of baggage or cancellation reimbursements.

Understand that the EHIC may cover many kinds of medical treatment but it will not cover medical repatriation, like if you are hospitalized abroad and want to return to your country, the EHIC will not pay for the expenses.

Be aware that even if you lose your card while you are abroad, you are still covered by getting a PRC or Provisional Replacement Certificate. By calling the Overseas Healthcare Team and giving them details, your certificate will be processed and they will send it directly to the place where you will receive the medical treatment.

Be aware of the limitations of the EHIC so that you will prepare yourself with other means, and these limitations are incidents that are beyond your control like emergency back home that would require you to go back home immediately, or you lost all your luggage, or unfortunately you had an accident, etc.

During the above mentioned incidents, this is when having a travel insurance policy would come in handy aside from your EHIC.

Cited reference: my response